Tuesday, June 17, 2008

"from Mozambique to these Memphis nights"

Yes, life truly is a highway.

I do not exactly believe that Tom Cochrane has ever been to Mozambique, but why not toss it in yer lyrics anyway right?

I have seen quite a series of them there highways (and skyways) over the last seven days; covered some serious ground and sky. 1894.40 miles between Dawson and Saskatoon. But it was an important wedding, and entirely worth each mile.

Jenna and i left Dawson at 8:00 am last wednesday morning on a lovely drive to Whitehorse. It was sunny and beautiful and we generally had a smashing time. Six hours in a car with someone great passes much faster than six hours in a car with my shitty-old-goat-self, i'll tell you that right now.
Joseph Beuys (my car) is a pretty good guy, all things considered. And still feasible despite ever-rocketing fuel costs. I particularily enjoyed being what i have termed the Co-Pilot car. On extra shitty stretches of the Klondike Highway you sometimes have to be lead by a Yukon Government Highways truck which eases you to safety, and i feel that by being the car right behind said Pilot Car my car becomes the Co-Pilot car. Logical? No! Fun? Yes!
So we got to be co-pilot on this drive, and it generally ruled. Other sexy results of the trip included the plans for Aaron and Jenna's White Magic cover band, Off White Magic, and the disclosure from Ms. Roebuck that she felt Greek Tony was "borderline attractive". Wowza.
Good trip.
We parked J. Beuys at the Whitehorse International Airport and prepared to fly to Edmonton.
It was immediately apparent that two of the most infuriating children in the universe were on our plane, but little did we know they would be sitting in our very row. Sweet jesus. N'er has such a short flight felt so trans-continental. Utter pain. Udder pains?
Jenna's little brother Andy, the responsible Roebuck, picked us up in Edmonton. We were in Saskatoon by 3 am. This is the first time in my life i have sucessfully made it from Dawson to Saskatoon in one (lonnnng) day.

Saskatoon is still Saskatoon. More Albertans, more condos, more bucks, but still Saskatoon.
It always feels very odd to be so very familiar with a place but not really feel like it is your place.
It sure is beautiful there in June though. Green everything and flowers and nice smells. Much more rainy than usual though, which put a cramp in my working-on-my-tan project for sure.
Got to see a rock show that i don't remember much of (with the exception of Steve Shatilla explaining that he brushes his beard before he showers, because otherwise it's all puffy and sticks out and then it just looks ridiculous) and got to see many people i really certainly wanted to see. A few i didn't as well, of course.
Saturday was the culminating event. The purpose of the trip was a wedding, which seems to be a prime reason to make long-haul trips these days; Marriages and babies.

Lorenne and Ben started dating shortly before our collective first summer together in the Yukon, so it was pretty mystical to see it result in a wedding. Super cool. The service itself was a fairly comical blend of their Christian families and their not-Christian friends and selves. The vows did include some sweet Corinthians action:

I Corinthians 13
If I speak with human eloquence and angelic ecstasy but don't love, I'm nothing but the creaking of a rusty gate. 2If I speak God's Word with power, revealing all his mysteries and making everything plain as day, and if I have faith that says to a mountain, "Jump," and it jumps, but I don't love, I'm nothing. If I give everything I own to the poor and even go to the stake to be burned as a martyr, but I don't love, I've gotten nowhere. So, no matter what I say, what I believe, and what I do, I'm bankrupt without love.

It had a nice sentiment i suppose, but man the bibble is weird and the only part of the whole thing i could remember (until i just looked it up of course) was the part about the rusty gate.
I guess it just always catches me off guard because i forget about Christianity as a lifestyle. It's much more of an abstract concept to me. Like post-modernism. Speaking of post-modern:


The reception part was awesomely outrageous and it was lovely to hang out with Lorenne's ultra fun sisters and dance dance dance. My shoes were outrageously high and impractical which made for some near misses on the dance floor. Probably some actual misses too but i wined those out of my memory.

Today Ben and Lorenne left for Terrastock (http://www.terrascope.co.uk/Terrastock7/main.htm) wherein they will see really excellent music and make everyone exceptionally jealous. Bah to them! And by bah i mean fondest congratualtions, obviously.

Lots of things i didn't get to do in Saskatoon, as usual, but it was truly a whirlwind tour. I'm now in Vancouver, on Kris and Antoine's lovely pull-out sofa bed, enjoying the sounds of birds and rain and not being able to sleep (jamais!). Kris and Allie came to get me at the airport and it was just great. I am excited to have a few days in the old Couv. It has been a while. I am going to see all the good people that live in this amoeba town and additionally check out a show at the VAG (which i will always say vaaaag like vagina, no matter how immature it may be) that's all about
"The Delirious World Of Anime + Comics + Video Games + Art". Ya.
And there's a baby beluga (lol) at the aquarium!

The hilarity of hilarities is that friend of real and digital life Wheelyapplegate is currently in my town while i am in his. I hope that Dawson is treating him as well as Vancouver is treating me. It's so warm and misty outside. And i truly enjoy peeing outside in big cities, which is certainly what i just did for no particular reason at all.





5 comments:

Anonymous said...

which one is wheelyapplegate? i will be sure to give him/her inaccurate directions to the jerkstore.

in recalling blorenne's ceremony, you mustn't forget to include the part where ben called lorenne his staunch crony.

Georgia said...

awww...i bet that wedding was all kinds of adorable...

who is this wheelyapplegate anyway?

Anonymous said...

i found the jerkstore on my own,
it served me a terrible fish burger.

jen lafreedom said...

that sounds like the kind of jerkstore that could only be Sourdough Joe's!

Luckyyyy!

Anonymous said...

you got it so right with that fish burger guess.
good going.