Wednesday, June 4, 2008

another shitty day in paradise

i have a lot of hilarious memories of the Klondike Highway (Old Shitty the Tin Highway).
my first trip up said highway was in Steve's Neon with no shocks to speak of, 5 people, and a huge rubber ball strapped to the exterior of the car. There were two; one blew off just north of Whitehorse. We also had vast amounts of luggage strapped to the outside of the trunk. And we ran out of gas. Luckily we had the giant ball to entertain us while we waiting for Aaron to return with a jerry can. And it's hard to drive through Carmacks without remembering Jenna and my magical overnight adventure there in aught five (also the result of gas running out). I have quite possibly never been so hungover. I threw up on the inside of Jenna's truck and we had to wipe it up with a t-shirt featuring a bunch of drunk and stoned cartoon cats and the phrase "Another Shitty Day in Paradise". It was somehow meant to represent Jamaica. I'm not sure how. I subsequently stole a bottle of Pepto Bismal at Superstore once we arrived in Whitehorse and then threw that up on the floor of Superstore. It wasn't my finest hour.

Today i drove by myself and it was pretty sweet. Five and a half hours alone in a car really gives you time to think and sing along to jamz. To quote an artist friend, "I am the best person I know", so the time went prettttttyyyyy fast.
Not actually.
And it's frusterating to not have DJ help. Ipod shuffle can certainly remind one that not all music is suited to all times. Jesus.
Why do i have so many Skinny Puppy albums to begin with?
Despite some questionable song choices, it was a pretty nice day out and i saw 2 black bears and a mother moose and calf. I think the most noteable thing about the drive was that RVs were shockingly not the most irritating thing. No. Almost the opposite...cyclists. Long distance cyclists.
I understand if you live out of town and ain't got no ride that a bike jaunt on the highway is fair...but these Europas who shuttle over to show me how much more they appreciate nature than any Canadian ever could by biking in packs on the highway all up in everyone's business whilst wearing yellow spandex can suck my dick. That sounds harsh, but i feel it's fair.

I got to Whitehorse without "accidentally" running any cyclists off the road though, and let me tell you the Whitehorse section of highway is a real biker's paradise. I even managed to play it cool with the city driving. Sort of. Relatively speaking. I don't get out much.
Now i am chillin' at the Yukon Inn with one Style Hammond. He is sleeping now, cos it's Halifax late, but we went out for sushi and watched some crap cable. It was sweet. I am now gearing up to watch Spaceballs.
Nothing like watching Spaceballs in Whitehorse on a wednesday night to keep you humble.

3 comments:

Georgia said...

yet if you kill one of them, YOU'RE the murderer, what a world

Anonymous said...

"Today i drove by myself and it was pretty sweet. Five and a half hours alone in a car really gives you time to think and sing along to jamz. To quote an artist friend, "I am the best person I know", so the time went prettttttyyyyy fast."

been there.

none said...

I've often said that about myself too.

But seriously, great blog.